So you’ve put in the hours, working on perfecting your CV so that companies can know all about you? But is that really enough? Your CV will not let people know why you are an ideal candidate for the job. You need to write a cover letter. Cover letters are important because they tell companies more about you; a cover letter is an opportunity to sell yourself, and sell yourself well.
Perhaps you’re wondering, “How do I create a cover letter that will set me apart from the rest?” Well, worry no more. Just The Job has put together a guideline to help you create a great cover letter
5 Tips for creating A Winning Cover Letter
- Don’t repeat what is on your CVMany people have a tendency to rewrite the details of their CV in their cover letter, fight the temptation to do this. The cover letter is an opportunity for you to tell recruiters about yourself, why you are interested in the field and what you bring to the table.
- Keep it short and sweetRecruiters do not have time to read long pieces of writing. The challenge is to sell yourself in 3 paragraphs. Do not write a long essay detailing how great you are. Remember, less is more!
- Just jump right inMost of the time no one really knows who to address the cover letter to. You don’t have to insert the generic “dear sir or madam” or “to whom it may concern”; go write head and write the body.
- Customise your cover letterYou need to write a custom cover letter for each company you apply for. Yes, this will take time but you need to show the company why you are a perfect fit for their organisation.
- Proofread before you sendPoor grammar and spelling errors can tarnish your image. Make sure that you proofread your cover letter before sending it. Our advice would be to give it to some to proofread for you with fresh eyes.
Your cover letter is important because it speaks to aspects that your CV doesn’t mention, aspects such as career goals and your personality. The tips we have provided will help you create a cover letter that will hopefully score you an interview.
Now that you have the perfect cover letter, apply for a job through Just The Job.