Service Line: Deloitte (Kwazulu Natal)
Reporting To: Unit Manager
Role : Chef
Employment Contract: Fixed-term
Main purpose of the job
Reporting to the project/catering manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing and preparing creative and innovative food options, developing menus and food plans in line with the client's corporate culture as well as to manage costs in line with budgetary requirements.
Education and experience required:
* Relevant Chef Qualification or at least 5 years' experience in food preparation and service
* Experience in provision of food in a multi-cultural environment
* Computer literacy
* Customer relations experience
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies required:
* Excellent knowledge of the kitchen, food and beverage industry and requirements and standards
* Excellent communication skills
* Well groomed and well presented
* Sound knowledge of operational standards and procedures of kitchen
* Strong sense of service and customer orientation
* Excellent organisation and planning skills
* Financial acumen
* Good people management skills
* Independent thinking
* Creativity and innovation
* Must be a good team player with the ability to motivate staff
* Good knowledge of the catering environment
* Good knowledge of health and safety policies and processes relevant to the catering industry
* Must have strong function skills
* Must be able to manage staff in absence of the manager
Key areas of responsibility:
* To prepare and serve hot and cold food to the client for functions.
* To ensure that there is sufficient stock at all times.
* To order stock for the staff restaurant as well as for functions from our approved APL and approved suppliers.
* To check stock levels and order when necessary following the ordering procedures stipulated by the company.
* To develop function menu guides as and when required, including costing such menus from approved APL rate.
* To check that HSE requirement are met and kitchen staff adhere to such HSE practices.
* To ensure that all kitchen staff are neat and presentable at all times and always wear the necessary PPE supplied by the company.
* To ensure that the kitchen is clean and hygienic at all times.
* To cultivate a good relationship with the client and staff.
Closing date: 11 January 2017
Compass Group South Africa is committed to Employment Equity in line with legislation and will give first preference to candidates as per Equity requirements